Men & Women

Men & Women
Above All

Friday, August 24, 2012

Top Things Not To Say to a Deployed Soldier’s Spouse

Over on Afghanistan: My Last Tour, we found a list things not to say to the spouse of a deployed soldier that a groups of military spouses put together. It is a list born of experience - everything on the list has been said to them at one time or another.
The accompanying article points out that insensitive comments to military spouses are hurtful and only make the spouse feel alone and like no one understands them. Bottom line: think before you speak.
We encourage you to check out the complete list here, but here are a few highlights:
“I know how you feel.  My husband was away for nearly a week on business last month.”
“I couldn't deal if my husband left that long.”
“Do you miss him?”
“You knew what you signed up for when you married a soldier.”
“I understand what you are going through, I watch the show Army Wives.”
Full article on Afghanistan: My Last Tour

No comments:

Post a Comment